Monday, February 15, 2010

Shop today, for next year.

Today (2/15) is the best day to shop for Valentines Day candy! I have done this for years, frozen the candy and have never had a problem. I shop for candy the day after the holiday to make the most of my money. I was able to get 4 wonderful gift boxes of chocolate covered fortune cookies (regularly $5 a box) for a whopping $1.50 a box. But these in the freezer and viola! No shopping for me! I already have Easter and Christmas candy as well. A few tips:
*only freeze hard chocolate or milk chocolate, avoid chocolate covered marshmallows, raisins, fruit or popcorn. These will NOT taste good after freezing/thawing.
*look for hard candy, these also do well (think conversation hearts)
*do not remove candy from it's original packaging. You can also store in ziplock bags to preserve the fresh taste)
*make a specific place in your freezer for holiday candies (to keep others out of your stash).
This can cut your budget a lot, especially if you have kids. I generally spend about $2-4 for my 4 kids each holiday, and I don't have to rush out at the last minute.
And be sure to check your favorite online retailers for discounts!

No comments: